Home Immigration Canadian Designated Institutions of Learning (DLI)

Canadian Designated Institutions of Learning (DLI)

canada immigration
Canadian Designated Institutions of Learning (DLI)

The options available to international students wanting to study in Canada at Canadian Designated Learning Institutions are vast.

To begin with, Canadian Designated Learning Institutions (DLI) are all elementary and secondary schools located in Canada and serve as schools for foreign students (DLI).

However, keep in mind that not all post-secondary institutions in Canada are Designated Learning Institutions, so it’s always vital to check to see if the university you want to attend is one of the many accredited DLIs in this country.

Why are institutions of higher learning designated in Canada?

As was previously said, Canadian Designated Learning Institutions (DLIs) are universities in Canada that accept foreign students and have been approved by the provincial governments of Canada to do so.

That means that in order to obtain a Canadian study visa, you will have to provide documentation of your admission from a Canadian Designated Learning Institution in the form of a letter of acceptance.

As a result, in order to pursue any type of university degree in Canada as a foreign student (a bachelor’s, master’s, or doctorate degree), you must first be admitted by a Designated Learning Institution.

Your study permit application form will contain the DLI number, which is particular to each Designated Learning Institution in Canada.

Therefore, the number that begins with the letter “O” on your studies application form is your DLI number.

How Can You Tell if a School Is a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) in Canada?

Here is how to determine for sure whether a university has received Canadian DLI accreditation:

Step 1: Visit the official website of the Canadian government.

READ ALSO:  Work in Canada by Applying for These Canadian Jobs

Step 2: Decide on a province or territory in Canada.

Step 3: Review the province’s or territory’s list of recognized Canadian Designated Learning Institutions.

How Can I Get a Study Permit in Canada?

Canada has a two-step approach to studying.

To study in Canada, you must first apply to a designated educational institution. After being accepted, you must obtain study permission from IRCC (Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada) which will allow you to do so.

These four procedures are necessary to apply for a study permit in Canada.

After receiving your Canadian study permission, you are free to change between approved educational institutions, courses, concentrations, or levels of study without having to submit a new study permit application.

All you need to do to accomplish this is inform the IRCC of your plan to switch universities, making sure that your new school of choice is a designated learning institution in Canada.

After your transfer request has been approved, you will need to contact the IRCC again to inform them of your current change of institutions. You can do this quickly and conveniently online through your MyCIC account.



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here